Makes 16 squares
These blueberry squares are a wonderful afternoon treat, or even a delicious addition to your lunchbox. The freshness of the blueberries and the lemon zest reminds me of happy summer days.
175 g soft unsalted butter at room temperature
200 g xylitol
3 large eggs
100 g ground almonds
150 g fine polenta
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
350 g blueberries
1 lemon, zest
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Line a 24 cm square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
2. Grate the lemon zest with a fine grater and set aside.
3. Mix the polenta, ground almonds and baking powder in a bowl.
4. In another bowl, whisk the butter and xylitol with an electric whisk for a few minutes.
5. Add the eggs one by one, whisking thoroughly each time.
6. Fold in the dry ingredients and vanilla extract.
7. Stir in the blueberries and lemon zest.
8. Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and level with the back of a spoon.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top looks golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Once cool, cut into squares.
To make the squares dairy-, lactose- and casein-free, use non-dairy vegetable margarine instead of butter.
Copyright © Tarja Moles 2012. All rights reserved. Photograph © Tarja Moles 2012.
If you’d like to use this recipe in your ezine or on your website, you’re welcome to do so as long as you use the complete recipe, including the copyright line, and include the following paragraph in its entirety:
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit http://www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.