This is a simple, but yummy, trifle. I have used agar flakes instead of gelatine, so it’s also suitable for vegetarians. To celebrate the London 2012 Olympics, I have decorated the trifle so that it looks like the Union Jack.
1. To make the jelly, pour the juice into a saucepan and sprinkle the agar flakes over the top. Bring to the boil over a gentle heat, stirring every now and then. The agar flakes will dissolve gradually.
2. Once boiling, simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the liquid into a large serving dish and let cool to room temperature before placing it in a refrigerator for a few hours.
4. While the jelly is setting, make the vanilla cream topping: put the cream, xylitol and vanilla extract into a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Place in a refrigerator for the time being.
5. When the jelly has set, spread the vanilla cream on top and decorate with berries.
If you’d like to make the trifle lactose-free, use Lactofree cream. If you’d like to make it entirely dairy-free and vegan, use a cream substitute (please note, however, that some of the substitutes may have soya or sugar in them).
Copyright © Tarja Moles 2012. All rights reserved. Photo © Tarja Moles 2012.
If you’d like to use this recipe in your ezine or on your website, you’re welcome to do so as long as you use the complete article, including the copyright line, and include the following paragraph in its entirety:
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.